Star Count

Last night I started a new English paper pieced project!

I have been completely smitten with this teeny floral since I found it at a quilt show last fall.  Like crazy in love, and I’ve been dying for a project where I could really enjoy using it.  Back then I was sure that the family-member-in-utero was a boy (and I wasn’t actually planning on finding out the gender at all until the big day, so a more neutral quilt would have been in order.) I thought this would make its way into a big quilt for me (it still might.)

But things changed and now that we know we are getting another little lady, I’m free to dream up sweet confectionery quilts in sherbert-y hues, and this fabric is the inspiration.

I started a preliminary fabric pull celebrating the pink-peach-orange-raspberry-lemon colors but I still need to pull some neutrals and something deep to ground all this sweetness.  How I love picking fabrics.

I’m linking up again with Jessica Alexandrakis’s Monday Morning Star Count and my count this week is: 1!

19 thoughts on “Star Count

1. I love your fabric pull. 9 years ago when we first started trying, I daydreamed about wonderful baby girl quilts in orange and pink. I got two boys instead, but not to worry– pink is my 5 yr old’s favorite color and he is very opinionated on the fabric I choose for anything.
    Have fun with the stars~

• Our son went through a pink phase as well; we’ve got the pictures of him pushing the hot pink dolly stroller he wanted so bad…then once he was in school came the anti-pink/purple/flowers/hearts phase where all things girl were shunned. Now at 10 1/2 he’s kind of evened out- the only sheets we had to put on his bed this week have big flowers all over them and I haven’t heard any complaints 🙂 Another friend of mine who has two boys has recently started making all the girly stuff just for herself… why not?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Jessie Aller

• Thanks! I’m hoping this one will move along at a good pace and be ready for baby’s appearance in early spring!

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Jessie Aller

2. I love that new mini floral, too. And your peachy color combo would go well with your coloring as well… and I hope your little girl will look like you!

• I never thought of that, but I guess I have always liked wearing peach! Actually I’ve been hoping that one of our kids would get my husband’s black curls, but chances of that seem to be pretty slim. 🙂

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Jessie Aller

• So true, although I’m working on an orange and red quilt at the moment for my boy. Not too different really!

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Jessie Aller

• oooh, that shade of orchid-purple is very appealing to me, too… hmmm … These diamonds are 1.5″ but I’m using a range of sizes from 1″-3″ for the project. maybe a few hexies too , we’ll see.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Jessie Aller

3. I love the fabric you’ve pulled together, especially the floral star! Sometimes I think picking out the fabric is the hardest part; I’m inspired by your choices.

• Thank you! The hardest part for me when pulling fabric is not to immediately run to the internet for that perfect shade of ___ (whatever I was imagining and don’t have in my stash..)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Jessie Aller

4. I love the fabrics and I can see why you fell in love with the floral print! I can’t wait to see your project come together and your new little one will adore it!

5. “Sherbet-y hues.” Perfect.

All my girls LOVE the color orange. Their bedroom is orange, their bedding has a ton of orange, orange, orange, orange. I love it with pink. (My 3yo son is in his pink phase right now…his winter hat is fluorescent pink. It’s awesome.)

Congratulations on Little Miss Princess! She’ll look lovely in this quilted confection.

• Oh, I would love to see an orange little girls’ room. It must be so cheery. My girls’ room is mostly pink and red. (Wait, did I just say that? I thought the Strawberry Shortcake quilt was the beginning of my pink and red obsession; I totally forgot about the things I made in there!) Middle Child professes her love for black, too, but I haven’t gotten around to those accent pillows yet 🙂 By the way, I checked out your other blog; We homeschool too! Nice to meet you…

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM, Jessie Aller